Ditch the Mayo with This Moroccan Potato Salad Recipe
You don’t need mayo for a delicious potato salad. This Moroccan potato salad gets its flavor from parsley and cumin instead. It’s great to replace hash browns or toast for a brunch, or even as a healthy dinner side dish.
Health Benefits of Potatoes
Potatoes often get a bad rap, because they are often consumed fried (and fried food is unhealthy) and because they have a high glycemic load, which means they spike your blood sugar (and a diet made up largely of high glycemic foods can lead to weight gain and chronic disease).
However, it turns out, when prepared correctly potatoes do actually have some nutritional merit! New potatoes generally have a lower glycemic than old potatoes. Instead of frying them, opt to bake them and drizzle with a fat such as oil or vinegar, which will both blunt the blood sugar spike. Additionally, if you cook them, then refrigerate them, and either serve cold or reheat, it also significantly reduces the effects of it on your blood sugar.
The health benefits of potatoes include:
- One large baked potato offers a sizeable 7.5 grams of plant-based protein
- The same serving offers 50% of the daily recommended intake for Vitamin C
- Potatoes contain B vitamins, including thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, Vitamin B6, and folate.
- Potatoes also contain a variety of minerals, including iron, magnesium, and potassium.
Moroccan Potato Recipe
2 pounds new potatoes
3⁄4 cup minced flat-leaf parsley
1 minced peeled small red onion
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
pinch of cumin
Freshly ground black pepper
- Place new potatoes in a pot of cold salted water. Cook over medium-high heat until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and cool.
- If using organic potatoes, leave skin on, otherwise peel potatoes, then chop into cubes and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add parsley, red onion, garlic, and olive oil, and mix well. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
Get the printable recipe here.http://collectiverevolution.co/2017/01/30/ditch-mayo-moroccan-potato-salad-recipe/http://collectiverevolution.co/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Moroccan-Potato-Salad-Maria-MArlowe-750x500.jpghttp://collectiverevolution.co/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Moroccan-Potato-Salad-Maria-MArlowe-750x500-150x150.jpgUncategorized